Sunday, January 27, 2008

month of loves: scripture

Doctrine and Covenants 121: 41-45

I'm so grateful that my father used these scriptures as a guide in his life. His example taught me how I should treat others and he often referred to these verses. As such, I knew what to look for in a man that I wanted to marry. I knew how he would honor, regard, and use his priesthood. Sam has proven to be the same kind of man as my father (and as his own father, another great example of a man who honors his priesthood responsibilities).

I know that many people don't have the privilege of being surrounded in life by men who try to live their lives with gentleness, meekness, love, kindness, and knowledge, but I have. My grandfathers, father, uncles, brothers, and my husband are all men who strive to have their "bowels... full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and ... virtue garnish [their] thoughts unceasingly." What a blessing for me! I love having a priesthood holder in my home to provide blessings when I need them and to counsel with me, and to be able to do the same for our children when they come.

I'm so happy to have the gospel in my life, and I'm glad Sam and I can share and live our faith together. It makes our home a peaceful and happy one and brings us endless joy.

41 No apower or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the bpriesthood, only by cpersuasion, by dlong-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;
42 By akindness, and pure bknowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the csoul without dhypocrisy, and without eguile
43 aReproving betimes with bsharpness, when cmoved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of dlove toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy;
44 That he may know that thy faithfulness is stronger than the cords of adeath.
45 Let thy abowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let bvirtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy cconfidence wax strong in the dpresence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the edews from heaven.

No comments: