Monday, February 04, 2008

month of loves: scripture

Zechariah 7:9

9 Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Execute true ajudgment, and shew bmercy and ccompassions every man to his brother:

Doctrine and Covenants 82:23

23 Leave judgment alone with me, for it is mine and I will arepay. Peace be with you; my blessings continue with you.

I found these scriptures when I was studying compassion in the scriptures about a year ago. It was a wonderful topic to study, especially while working in a residential treatment center. That was a job where nothing makes you more successful than kindness.

These scriptures, however, didn't immediately make me consider how I treat others. As I read them, I thought about how I judge myself. The Lord commands us to show mercy to others, to forgive everyone, and to leave judgment to Him, including when we judge ourselves.

Of course we should try to be obedient and we need to recognize when we need to repent, but the Lord doesn't want us to be critical of, degrade, or belittle ourselves anymore than he wants us to do it to someone else.

I know this isn't a new idea, but reading my thoughts about it in my journal reminded me of how much it meant to me at the time, and hopefully, it will mean something to someone else.

1 comment:

tpmotd said...

I'm judging you, Heather. I'm judging you RIGHT NOW.