Friday, January 20, 2012

the new blankie

When I asked Anna what she wanted for Christmas, she said she wanted a new blankie. I was a little wary at first since she had a perfectly good blanket already that topped all other blankies, so would she even actually like another one? In the end I decided that I needed to A) trust her and B) make it really cute so she'd have to like it.

Here's the end result:


Last minute I decided to embroider her hand on there, so on Christmas Eve, I crept into her room while she slept and traced her hand on a piece of paper. (She didn't wake up.) Then, as Sam and I watched parts 2 and 3 of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, I finished tying the quilt, embroidering the hand, and pinning and sewing the binding. I finished at 2 AM.

Here is her Christmas morning reaction:


Anna immediately wanted to snuggle with it on my lap, which is the true test of a good blankie. Since Christmas, it has made forts, tunnels, tents, quieted baby doll beds, had a snotty nose wiped on it, and even been thrown up on. It's thoroughly broken in and thoroughly loved-- which makes it all worth it.

6 comments:

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

It's adorable! Good work! You inspire me. I've been wanting to make one for my Anna, too-- I ought to just do it!

Marci said...

It's gorgeous! I love the fabrics you chose and what a genius idea to embroider her hand print on there!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! The blanket, the story, the picture and all the blanket play! I see a children's book Anna 's Blanket.

Anonymous said...

awwww, that blanket and story are amazing! I love that you traced her hand when she was sleeping! I agree with the first commenter... you definitely inspire me, Heather Cosby.
PS My mom texted me last night to see if I had read "the blankie story" yet... Your writing is like a good book or new article that people love to share and enjoy : )

Ben, Amy, Isabelle & Olivia said...

Wow. Such a good mommy Heather. The blanket is awesome and I love the colors. The hand was the perfect touch! Well done!!

Rebecca Holt Stay said...

Just so you know, Heather had a blanket with her hand embroidered on it when she was as old as Anna. That makes this blanket even more awesomer.