Monday, August 11, 2008

doing good

In the First Presidency message of the Ensign this month, President Monson quoted the hymn "Have I Done Any Good?"

"Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not I have failed indeed.

Has anyone's burden been lighter today because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?
...
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love."

As I read President Monson's comments and pondered the words of the hymn, I knew I could say, "Yes." Every day I help Anna. I cheer her when she's crying. I soothe her when she's weary. I share my husband, my home, my time, my body, and my love with her. She needs me and I am there.

My brother Doug once pointed out that in caring for our children, we are keeping God's commandment to "clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, ... and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted" (Jacob 2:19, Mosiah 4:26, Mathew 25: 34-40).

I want to serve those outside my family, but at this time in my life, the majority of my service is done within my home. However, in serving Anna and Sam, I learn how to serve. I feel joy in service and become other-centered rather than self-centered. Someday, I will be like my own mother and have created an extended family of good friends who I have loved and served. It will have been a pleasure, a great blessing of duty and love.

4 comments:

lizzie said...

Oh, I needed to be reminded of that. Lately I've been feeling guilty because I don't get out and do service as much as I feel like I should or as much as some others in our ward. But, in all honesty, I kind of feel like I'm still learning how to do this in my own home. I'm glad that even if I keep my "doing good" kind of close to home for a little while, it will still count for something. :)

Marci said...

2 years tomorrow, congrats. I can't believe its been that long. by the way its james not marci

Susan said...

service always begins in the home. i know people who are always serving others but never their own. that boggles my mind.

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Your brother's comment was so what I needed! Sometimes I feel guilty that I'm not able to serve others more because I'm so busy with my little ones, but it's true, we are serving almost every minute of the day as mothers. Thanks for sharing! And thanks for featuring our notebooks. My kids aren't ready to use them yet, either, so I just made one for myself! :)