Tuesday, February 15, 2005

the gates

I've been really fascintated by the installation of The Gates, by Christo and Jeanne-Claude in New York City's Central Park. If you look at the website below you can see pictures of his other works. My favorites were "Valley Curtain" and "Wrapped Trees." I especially liked the skeleton of the trees seen through the transluscent fabric.
I just finished watching a documentary on the creation of "Surrounded Islands" in Biscayne Bay in Miami. In it he said that part of the reason for wrapping things is to get people to re-look at them, to reexamine the object's place, purpose, and design. For me it achieved its goal. Both The Gates and the Surrounded Islands make me look at the world around me and see its potential for more. I think that's why artists start out their training by mimmicking the masters: once you force yourself to see the world in the unique ways they saw it, you begin to learn the pattern of looking for potential and novelty in the familiar.
http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/gates.html

No comments: