Wednesday, January 21, 2009

a letter

Dear President Obama--

Congratulations on your inauguration. As I watched the ceremonies, I was proud of my country and inspired to see people of all nations and colors coming together to create and celebrate. I'm glad I can say I witnessed the momentous occasion of the swearing in of the first African American (and what better way to describe you?) President of the United States. We are ready to answer your call to responsibility and to step forward with tenuous hope as we wrestle the many challenges ahead. Please don't be too overwhelmed by the outrageous and unrealistic hope that many have that you alone can solve America's problems. Most of us know that's impossible and are ready to do our part, lend our support, and forgive when mistakes are made. You have accepted the most difficult job in the world and none of us-- well-- hardly any of us envy your position.

So press forward with excitement, with caution, with idealism, and with wisdom. We are behind you and are praying for you. God speed, Mr President.

Love, The Cosbys

PS-- Your daughters are dolls, and your wife's dress was gorgeous. You are a lucky man to have Michelle.

PPS-- Sorry about the crappy crystal bowl we, the American people, gave you to commemorate the event. Unlike your election, nobody asked my opinion on that one.

5 comments:

rusted sun said...

Wonderful post. I was glad to be able to share the moment with you.

Ben, Amy, Isabelle & Olivia said...

I love it!!! And I agree that his two little girls are precious!

Marci said...

Haha I love the comment about the crystal bowl at the end :-).

Jennie said...

I just found your blog on Alisa's site. Your pics are awesome.

Marci said...

Heather, Did you get my email about the visits to Kathy being on Wed instead of Thurs? Just let me know if that will still work for you next week (and if you need me to watch Anna)! Thanks :-)!