Tuesday, August 10, 2010

free cupcakes and updates

I found these today in the blogosphere. I thought they'd be fun to print on cardstock, laminate, and use again and again. I bet Anna would be occupied by this for at least 8 1/2 minutes.

Once I can find a fabric store that's less than 1/2 hour away, I might make these out of felt.

While I'm on here posting, I might as well share this photo. It makes me laugh every time I see it. Anna really did wear this to bed all night.


And a little bit about life here. Our apartment is mostly organized. We just need to get our pictures out of boxes and onto the walls. We got a freecycled entertainment unit that's perfect for our needs and keeps all our electronica out of little hands and a freecycled dresser to house Anna's vast wardrobe.

Anna just keeps getting more and more opinionated about everything. She throws things more than I ever thought she would (did anyone else expect their toddler to be a little less toddler-like than other people's children?). And she says "no" to everything just because she can. She says "no" even when I'm not asking her anything. I do my best to give lots of attention, get dinner made while she's asleep, and let her know what's coming in the day, but sometimes that's still not enough. I'm learning to not feel like a bad mom and just accept that this is how toddlers are and that she will not grow into a food-throwing 10-year-old (which is true, right?).

On the flip side, she is getting more and more curious, independent, and involved in my day to day activities. Anna totes around her toys to stay in whatever room I'm currently in. I try to let her help with whatever she can while I'm cooking and make a point to do some creative activity with her each day. Yesterday we took her plastic fruit and vegetables and new little pots and pans my mom gave her (thanks Mom!) and made vegetable stew and fruit cobbler. She watched and copied my actions intently as we pretended to cut up the carrots and put them in the pot and squeeze the lemon juice over the cobbler. She repeated everything I said and after I put the cobbler in the oven she said, "I will do it!" and opened the "oven" and put in the cobbler and turned the knob to turn it on. We enjoyed a delicious imaginary meal together in those few minutes and I savored every adorable moment of our playing together.

Levi is still as social as ever and loves to play pat-a-cake and peek-a-boo. He loves his sister and they love to laugh together. He's nearly 17 lbs at 4 months old and he always wants to be a part of the action during the day. He's been a little sick and fussy for a few days and I'm not sure whether that's a result of his shots, teething, his ever-changing, ever-developing nervous system, or a combination of all three, but I'm looking forward to getting him back to his old sleeping habits soon.

Massachusetts is beautiful and I've gone running and biking in the hilly, rocky, Acton Town Forest right behind our apartments. We went for a picnic at the playground next to the library today. Our ward is the largest in all of New England and New York so we're looking forward to meeting everyone there once they all return from their summer vacations. Sam has been called as an assistant Weblos leader with another young dad in the ward and I'm both speaking in sacrament meeting and teaching Relief Society in a couple weeks.

Sam and I celebrate four wonderful years of marriage this week and can't wait to leave the kids with a babysitter and go out for dinner and Kimball Farm ice cream. Life is good and I'm so glad he picked me to share it with.

6 comments:

Susan said...

all is normal....and if she becomes a food throwing 10 year old, maybe she just wants a food fight...without laughter. Maybe she'll figure it out that. Or not! I am a bit quirky in my thoughts....not that that comes as any surprise for you. But you are a great mom....

Eric said...

We need to get together - we ended up quickly back in New England after a short stint in Texas. We're in Maine...working for L.L.Bean. If you're ever in Maine looking for some lobster or anything - give us a ring!

We went to Kimball's many a time. That's where we celebrated when we found out we were expecting...in August 09. Small world!! We also liked to go apple picking at an orchard out near carlisle...can't remember the name right now though.

Glad you're getting settled in. We should definitely find a time to get together soon.

Anonymous said...

Heather, I like reading your blog and hearing about your experiences of being a mom.

-Jeff-

Goose said...

10 points for freecycle reference. That site is fabulous!

And food-throwing 10-year-olds are alright sometimes, it's the food-throwing-high-school-graduates-or-older you need to watch out for <3

Rebecca Holt Stay said...

Tell me what color you want and I'll mail you some felt from our huge stash. Postage is probably cheaper than the gas.
Could you just print directly onto stiffened felt with your computer printer? THAT would be sweet.

CatherineProphitDemers said...

I keep coming back to this post...very cute! Anna is very bright, I am sure that food throwing will not last long.